Monday, November 5, 2007

Webb Chapter 3

The first thing that I liked about this chapter concerning feminist theory and gender studies was the author's personal example of his inexperience within a classroom focused on feminist theory. He admits that prior to that class he had very little exposure to either FT or female authors for that matter. His example helps to make readers, like myself, who are unfamiliar with such material feel slightly more at ease. As a personal example of my own, about a year ago I was asked by a random person on campus if I would be willing to answer a few survey questions regarding feminism. I agreed, of course, and he asked me right off the bat whether or not I considered myself a feminist. I answered no, and his follow up question was something like, "so you don't believe in equal rights for women?" I was appalled! Just because I didn't consider myself a feminist surely didn't mean that I thought women in this world deserve less than a man does... I was unaware at the time that a "feminist," by definition, is someone who believes in equal rights for women. The negative connotations that our society associates with the term "feminism" conjours up images of crotchety old lesbians who do nothing but "man-bash," and I think it is important, as future educators of America, to dispel with these myths. I proudly consider myself a feminist now that I am more aware and knowledgeable about the issue, and I feel as though Webb would agree. The importance of FT and Gender Studies is obvious when we take into account the culture that our students are faced with every day. "[T]eenagers and young adults are immersed in a world where gender roles are supercharged. Unfortunately, young people typically have few opportunities to carefully examine gender codes, roles, and expectations. The work of women's studies and gender studies thus becomes particularly relevant to English teachers and forms one of the most important approaches under the cultural studies umbrella," (page 38). The author goes on to say, on page 47, "[l]ike feminist and multicultural studies, gay and lesbian studies is also tied to broader social movements and events." Using these types of studies in your secondary classroom is another way to explore controversial topics and the "broader social movements" that create such transformations in cultural ideologies.

No comments: