Friday, September 28, 2007

Wilhelm Chapter 3

In this third chapter of "You Gotta BE the Book," I really liked that the author began by giving his audience a list of reading activity strategies. It seems as though this chapter is much more practical than the previous two chapters have been. Several of the activities that the author lists I have had experience with before through some of my education classes here at Western, others of them were new to me. The Think-Alouds seemed to work rather well when I've used them in the past, and I like that they are so subjective. The teacher journal is something that I haven't started yet (I haven't been in the classroom enough) but would be interested in trying out once I am given the opportunity to do so. I enjoyed the last half of this chapter as well because of the artistic freedom that the author suggests giving to the students. A symbolic representation of a story or a visual role-playing activity are both excellent activities to get the students engaged with their reading and discovering meaning from the literature.

No comments: